Skin & Bone is a combination gallery and tattoo studio. The gallery will exhibit art and ethnographic handicrafts related to tattooing, while the studio will have Colin Dale tattooing alongside various guest artists throughout the year. Through his years of travelling and tattooing around the world Colin has had the pleasure to meet and work alongside a wide range of tattoo artists and experts working in ethnographic and other specialized styles. Amongst these friends, we have hand-tattooists from Borneo, Polynesia and Japan as well as some of the world's leading artists in Blackwork and Dotwork coming to visit. Check the homepage http://www.skinandbone.dk/ to see some of the work



Saturday 23 June 2012

St Petersburg


   I just wanted to inform everyone that I am finally home from the former Soviet Republic. The reports of my exile and detention, (although true) were slightly exaggerated. I would like to thank Dmitry for giving me asylum during the ordeal and Maria for organizing my eventual escape from behind the Iron Curtain.

I would also like to thank all of Nannas friends for alleviating her fears by coming with even more elaborate scenarios J



The Skytten King at the Hermitage


What is left of his tattooed skin


Close up of one tattoo

The man I came to see and talk to
 
One of his tattoos, not visable and only recently discovered
 
One of my meager efforts at copying a Pazyryk tattoo about a decade ago at Lejre
Although I was copying the Ram design, I tried to recreate it as I thought it might have been... in all reverence to the original artist and bearer.
The designs are on 2500 year old mummified skin... shrunken and dried. I took some liberties rounding out the spirals and giving the design more negative space and room to grow. I only hope it will look as good in 2500 years :-)

Another Pazyryk design in mirror image to face forward on the clients body.
 I did this about 12-15 year back :-) 
 

1 comment: