Skin & Bone is a combination gallery and tattoo studio. The gallery will exhibit art and ethnographic handicrafts related to tattooing, while the studio will have Colin Dale tattooing alongside various guest artists throughout the year. Through his years of travelling and tattooing around the world Colin has had the pleasure to meet and work alongside a wide range of tattoo artists and experts working in ethnographic and other specialized styles. Amongst these friends, we have hand-tattooists from Borneo, Polynesia and Japan as well as some of the world's leading artists in Blackwork and Dotwork coming to visit. Check the homepage http://www.skinandbone.dk/ to see some of the work



Saturday 10 March 2012

Colinesian

   Although I have travelled in Polynesia and count some of the best artists in the style amongst my friends, I would not begin to claim I was an expert on the subject. When I started Skin&Bone it was with the hope of providing a place of learning (not teaching) where tribal artists from around the world could come, visit, tattoo and share ideas and experiences. I have been very priviledged to have some of the top Polynesian and tribal artists in the world come to visit and provide an opportunity for Scandinavians to receive work both by machine as well as traditional hand tools.
   Although I primarally work with Nordic designs, I find that I can speak the same language of other tribal artists... anatomy, culture, negative space and traditional tools arn't just words but also inspire images and feelings that would be lost on most modern tattooists.
   Through the years I've worked alot with Polynesian designs, however have always been hesitant to show the results as I know so many other experts in the style whose work is far beyond my own. My own work is inspired by the Polynesian designs however doesn't take from any one particular style. I had a fellow tattooist describe it as "Colinesian" :-)
The best tattoos are firstly: Anatomical, then: Cultural and finally: Personal
Whenever I do these designs I prefer to work using hand tools

Enjoy :-) 

Maori/Tahitian inspired design on Niels


Samoan/Tahitian inspired design on Benjamin


Hawaíian inspired design on Jannik

No comments:

Post a Comment